How to Make Tasty Macarons. Learn how to make french macarons! We used the Italian meringue technique in this tutorial.
150g (~2 cups) almond flour
150g (~1½ cups) powdered sugar
10g cocoa powder, green tea powder, coffee powder etc (optional)
50g egg whites, fresh (from ~2 eggs); bring to room temperature for at least 15 minutes
pinch of food coloring powder or small amount of gel food coloring if desired if using powder food coloring, add to the flour; if using liquid food coloring, add to the egg whites
120g sugar (~1¾ cups)
40g water (~ 3T)
54g egg whites, fresh (from ~2 eggs)
Directions for fillings:
Pistachio buttercream (makes 1 pint, can be refrigerated up to 1 week)
(from “Les Petits Macarons”, K Gordon & A McBride):
¾ cup (83g) shelled pistachios, toasted
1¼ cup (250g) sugar, divided
¼ tsp salt
3 egg whites
pinch of cream of tartar
2 sticks (227g) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1” cubes
small amount of light green food coloring if desired
Directions for pistachio buttercream:
Preheat oven to 350oF. Place the pistachios in the bowl of a food processor.
1. Bring ½ cup (100g) sugar, the salt, and 1/8 cup (28.5g) water to a boil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Clip a candy thermometer to the pan, reduce the heat to medium and cook until the mixture reaches 230oF.
2. Pour the syrup over the pistachios in a bowl to coat briefly and then place into the bowl of the food processor and process until the mixture forms the smoothest puree possible. Set aside.
3. Put the egg whites and cream of tartar in the bowl of mixer fitted with a whisk attachment.
4. Bring the remaining ¾ cup (150g) sugar and ¼ cup (57g) water to a boil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Clip a candy thermometer to the pan and cook until the mixture reaches 238oF.
5. While the syrup is cooking, whisk the egg whites at medium speed until they form soft peaks, ~2 minutes. Once the syrup reaches 238oF, gradually and steadily pour the syrup down the side of the bowl, resting the edge of the pan on the edge of the mixer so that the syrup does not hit the whisk attachment and splatter. This process should take 15 seconds. Whisk the meringue until stiff peaks form and the bowl cools down, ~5-8 minutes.
6. Add the butter and whisk on high speed until the meringue emulsifies and becomes completely smooth and fluffy, (meringue will look kind of runny for awhile, but keep whipping until you get the consistency of stiff whipped cream, ~5-8 minutes). Add in the pistachio puree while the mixer is running and whisk until the buttercream returns to a smooth and fluffy state.
7. Pistachio buttercream can be kept covered and refrigerated for up to 1 week.
Strawberry buttercream (based on Sprinkles cupcakes recipe):
Approximately 3/4 cup fresh strawberries (~175g), enough to produce 3T concentrated puree
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, firm and slightly cold
pinch of coarse salt
3½ cups (125g) confectioner’s sugar, sifted
½ tsp pure vanilla extra or vanilla bean paste
small amount of pink food coloring if desired
Directions for strawberry buttercream:
1. Place strawberries in the bowl of a small food processor; process until pureed. Heat over low-medium heat approximately 12 minutes to reduce to 3 T.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together butter and salt on medium speed until light and fluffy.
3. Reduce mixer speed and slowly add confectioners’ sugar; beat until well combined. Add vanilla and 3 tablespoons strawberry puree (save any remaining strawberry puree for another use); mix until just blended. Do not over mix, or frosting will incorporate too much air and become too whipped.
4. Frosting consistency should be dense and creamy, like ice cream.
Egg white separator
Digital cooking thermometer
Hello! My name is Darrell. I'm just a regular guy who likes editing and uploading videos to Youtube! I really like teaching people how to do any and everything I have experience doing. In addition, I do product reviews and travel documentaries when the opportunity arises. So if you're interested in any of these things, welcome!
My simple recording setup. Get these products on Amazon! By buying products thru my links, I'll earn a small commission that helps keep my videos coming! Buying thru my links doesn't cost you a cent more! Thank you very much for your support!
Gopro Hero 5 Black
Aitesco Lav Mic
Find me on social media!
Tags: How to Make Tasty Macarons, macarons, macaron, french macaron, french macaroon, french macarons, french macaroons, macaroons, macaroon, macaron tutorial, how to make macarons, French macaron recipe, easy French macaron recipe, French macaron tutorial, foolproof French macarons, macaron recipe French, macaroons how to make, macaron recipe, how to make french macarons, perfect macarons, chocolate covered oreos, how to make macarons tasty, how to make colorful macarons, how to make macarons filling